Designed by Pat Novak
LOOM: All-n-One Loom, set up for double knit with 1cm spacing
YARN: Patons Classic Wool Roving #5, 100% wool, hand wash and dry flat. Aran 77008, 1 skein, gold 77615, ½ skein, Cherry red and Spruce green, aprox 1/4 skein of each.
(A)= Aran, (G)= Gold, S=Spruce green, R=Red,
STITCHES: Stockinette and Figure8 (if desired) for center section, or b/b weave for some areas of color.
NOTIONS: Knit hook, Crochet hook #4 or 5, scissors, tapestry needle
SIZE: 10″ x 10″ completed
GAUGE: 4 sts and 5 rows=1 inch
Abbreviations: R=right, L=left, b/b weave=back to back wrap. Wrap back and front peg of a stitch by going straight across the loom. Do not twist the yarn as in Figure8. See photo at bottom of pattern.
1. Always start the square at the bottom of the graph, working from L to R. Focus only on that row, until completed. Be sure to work from left side of graph to right side, and from bottom to top following rows.
2. Be sure to start each row with the loom facing you. The cast on yarn tail will be on the left side. Check this before starting a new row, so the design will be correctly applied.
3. When following the graph on paper, be sure to line-out each row once it is complete. You may also want to fold the printed graph over after each row, so that you are always looking at the current row.
4. Try to use one continuous stockinette weave on any color that has several rows, or more than just a few stitches. The center of this square at the Noel rows can be done in Figure8.
5. If you carry the main background color throughout the square, it will connect the colors next to it. If you choose to cut separate yarns for each color used, you will need to twist the 2 yarns together at each joint, or cut and tie the colors together.
6. If you have just a few stitches of a color, it is best to cut a piece of the yarn, tie it into the row when needed. Leave it attached until all the stitches are complete for that color, even when it consists of several rows, then you can tie it to adjoining yarn and knot.
7. Once the square is complete, recommend to mist with warm water and block. Allow wool to dry completely before using it in your project.
Cast on 30 stitches in stockinette with (A) yarn.
Rows 1-6: Work 6 rows in stockinette stitch.
Row 7: Tie on (R) yarn on st 4 and wrap b/b weave on this stitch. Tie on (S) yarn on st 5 and wrap b/b on stitch 5. Drag (S) yarn to peg 21-22-23 and wrap b/b. Work in (A) yarn in stockinette across row skipping the stitches covered with (R) or (S) yarn. Hook over.
Row 8: Follow graph. Wrap pegs 5, 21,22,23 with (R) yarn. Lay down yarn. Wrap peg 6, 15-20 and 24 with (S) yarn, in b/b wrap. Work in (A) yarn in stockinette across row skipping the stitches covered with color yarns. Hook over all.
Row 9: Work pegs 7-14 and 25 in (R) yarn, b/b wrap. Wrap peg 26 with (S) yarn. Work in (A) yarn in stockinette across row skipping the stitches covered with color yarns. Hook over all.
Rows 10-11: Work 2 rows in A) yarn in stockinette.
Rows 12-26: Work each row of Noel following the graph. You can work all rows with Figure8 or work the (G) stitches with b/b and (A) stitches in stockinette. It is recommended that you continue with the color, now (G) in b/b and the (A) in stockinette as this will give a more uniform appearance. The sample was done with the Figure8 on all stitches.
Rows 27-31: Work in stockinette with (A) yarn.
Cut (2) pieces of (S) yarn aprox 3′ long and (2) pieces of (R) yarn aprox 2′ long.
Row 32: Tie on one piece of (S) yarn at peg 4. Tie on one piece of (R) yarn at peg 7. Work pegs 4-5 with (S) yarn, b/b weave. Work pegs 7-8 with (R) yarn. Leave the pieces attached. Work the row in stockinette with (A) yarn skipping the pegs wrapped with the color yarns. Hook over.
Row 33: Tie on the 2nd (R) yarn onto peg 25 and weave that peg, b/b. Tie on the 2nd piece of (S) yarn at peg 27 and weave that peg, b/b. Lay yarns down. Work pegs 4,6,8 with 1st (S) yarn. Work peg 7 with 1st (R) yarn. Lay yarns down. Work row with (A) yarn in stockinette skipping all pegs with colors.
Row 34: Work pegs 5 & 7 with (S) yarn. Work pegs 8 & 9 with (R) yarn. Work pegs 24 & 25 witj (R) yarn and work pegs 26 & 28 with (S) yarn. Lay down all short yarns. Work row in stockinette with (A) yarn on all stitches not covered with colors. Hook over.
Row 35: Work pegs 6 & 8 with (S) and peg 9 with (R) yarn. Work peg 23 with (R) and pegs 24-25 & 27 with (S) yarns. Work row in stockinette with (A) yarn on all stitches not covered with colors. Hook over. Cut and knot both (R) yarns as they will not be used any further.
Row 36: Work pegs 5 & 7 with (S) yarn. Work pegs 23 & 26 with (S) yarn. Work row in stockinette with (A) yarn on all stitches not covered with colors. Hook over. Cut and knot 1st (S) color as it will not be used again.
Row 37: Work pegs 24-25 & 27 with (S) yarn b/b weave. Work row in stockinette with (A) yarn on all stitches skipping the pegs with color. Hook over. Cut and knot the last (S) yarn.
Rows 38-40: Work rows in (A) yarn in stockinette and hook over.
Bind off with basic 2- loop method. Weave in yarn tails.
Bind off at anchor yarn with basic 2-loop method or if this is beginning of a scarf or other garment, continue with your choice of colors.